The Simon van der Stel Foundation (Cape Town) recognised that schools have largely been overlooked and under-represented in the awarding of Blue Plaques.
The Foundation, together with the Centre for Conservation Education in Newlands decided to make schools aware of the Project and to encourage those schools that feel they qualify for a Blue Plaque to make application.
The criteria/ categories:
- The age of the school (must be over 125 years old to qualify);
- An architecturally significant building (e.g. well-known architect; building style; etc);
- The school’s particular contribution to society (e.g. oldest township school; first ‘coloured’ high school; first Afrikaans school in Cape Town; oldest independent school; etc);
- The school’s survival under difficult circumstances (e.g. the South African War; Forced Removals; role in the Struggle for Democracy; natural disasters; etc);
- Past learners or educators who have distinguished themselves (must no longer be living), and
- Schools that have been closed and are lost, but nevertheless played a significant role in education.
In 2015 the following schools were awarded Blue Plaques:
- Simon’s Town School (for the age of the school; established in 1815)
- Rondebosch Boys’ High (for a famous past pupil: Allan Cormack)
- Deutsche Internationale Schule Kapstadt (for contribution to society)
- Wynberg Boys’ High (for contribution to society)
- Wynberg Girls’ High (for the age of the school, established 1884)
- Good Hope Seminary (contribution to society, age)
However, we also received applications from schools OUTSIDE OUR JURISDICTION. We therefore would like to arrange a meeting with you to discuss this and to establish whether your organisation would be interested to introduce this project in your area as well.
Sigi Howes from the Centre for Conservation Education will only be back on 26 July 2016 but I am sending this email so long allowing you time to discuss it with your committees.
We would also like to make contact with Somerset West and Worcester – should you have contact details, please forward it to us.